Just a quick little post this evening to share with you our recipe for Gingerbread cupcakes. This was our first time making these, and I have to say I am so pleased at how scrummy they have turned out. The hubster LOVED them, he isn’t a big fan of the humble cupcake, but IS a huge fan of all things ginger (he has a bit of a weakness for Jesse and Jessica Rabbit!) and apparently these cupcakes are amazing!
I made with just L, as the 2 boys were at school and she was able to help me each step. I always think the key is to not over mix, and with kiddies I find this is a good thing.
So, first things first, you will need:
For the cupcakes:
- 75g soft unsalted butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 125ml black treacle
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 175g plain flour
- 1tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125ml cup hot milk
For the buttercream icing:
- 120g soft butter
- 200g icing sugar, sifted
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp milk
Ok, once you have all your ingredients together……
* Preheat the oven to 175’c and line a 12-hole muffin tin with cupcake cases.
* In a large bowl cream the butter with the sugar. Add the treacle and the egg and egg yolk.
* In a separate large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon and salt.
* Dissolve the baking soda in the hot milk.
* Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined. Stir in the hot milk mixture.
* Spoon into the cases. I put some of the mixture into a teacup for L to make it a little bit easier for her!
Bake for 20 mins.
* Allow to cool.
For the buttercream:
Cream the butter in a bowl until smooth, gradually add the icing sugar and continue to cream until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the milk and cream until combined. Ice the cupcake and add a little mini gingerbread man to decorate!
Hope these turn out for you all ok 🙂
Last day of our wee gingerbread man theme tomorrow. We have had great fun and today found a gingerbread man bath bomb in Poundland! Oh Poundland how I love thee!!