I LOVE the whole pink / red / heart thing that February brings. I end up decorating the house a little in honour of St.Valentine and indulge that side of me that really does like a bit of romance.
I am sharing today some of the things that we have done in the past and a couple of new ideas that we will try out now that the kids are a little older.
1. Sensory tubs.
2. It wouldn’t be Valentines Day if you didn’t make a heart in some shape or form.
3. Water play – if you have young kids in the house I am in doubt that they love playing with water, and it’s a great learning activity for lots of reasons.
4. Play dough – can be played with at any time of year!
I don’t have a photo, but we also made some chocolate play dough last year and made our own chocolates. We used old Milk Tray boxes to put our homemade chocolates into! Such a disappointment when you find the box and it isn’t actually edible treats inside!
5. You gotta make a Valentines Card! There are loads and loads of ideas on the internet. Ours have been fairly straightforward up until now, due to the age of my kids. I think though when it is homemade it doesn’t matter, people will love it even more!
6. For the last 2 years we have made a ‘Love tree’….it is basically a stick / twig from our garden which we decorate with hearts with the names of all those whom we love lots and lots! The kids have fun going to collect the twig, decorating the hearts and then hanging them on the tree. It’s a great wee lesson for them too 😉
7. This idea I found on pinterest last year and thought it was so lovely. Each day in the count down to Valentines Day you add a heart to a piece of ribbon on your child’s door for them to read in the morning. Written on the heart is something that you love about them!
8. This will be a new thing for us to try this year – a family fingerprint heart canvas. If you want to find out more about it, be sure to visit the website named on the picture! I think it’s fairly self explanatory though and will make a lovely keepsake.
9. A little one to discuss at the dinner table, again, quite self explanatory from the photo. You can read more here though.
10. And we hope to make this cake! Every occasion needs cake, right?! Heart shaped cake.
Do you have any activities you could share with us? I love getting new ideas. Or do you think you might give one of these a go? Let me know!