As I sit down to write this, I have an overwhelming feeling of thankfulness and being blessed. It has been a weekend of food, family, friends and faith….and there is still more to come. Yesterday, we celebrated Easter Sunday, like many families did I’m sure, with a lovely gathering around the dinner table and an egg hunt out in the garden.
Lynas Food Outlet had very kindly given us an Easter hamper which left me with big choices for what would be on the table for Sunday lunch. With church in the morning, I decided to put the slow cooker to good use – so it was Texas Pulled Pork and a Pork and Leek Sausage dish with a pineapple salsa for us. Not your traditional Easter Lunch admittedly, but, it went down a treat and, even if I do say so myself, was mighty tasty!
So. First up the Texas Pulled Pork.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- pork butt
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- hamburger buns / baps
- Pour the vegetable oil into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the pork roast into the slow cooker. In a separate bowl mix together the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and chicken stock. Stir in the brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chilli powder, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cover and cook on high until the roast shreds easily with a fork. We cooked ours for 6 hours.
- Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir the meat into the juices.
- We enjoyed ours with rocket and mayo, all served up in a burger bap.
Then, for the Pork and Leek Sausages and Pineapple Salsa.
* pork sausages ( we had 10 )
* 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
* 300g fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
*½ red chilli, finely diced
* 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
*1 lime, juice only
For the rocket salad with lemon vinaigrette
* 1 lemon, juice only
*4 tablespoons olive oil
*2 bunches rocket
Preheat the oven to 180C.
Place the pork sausages onto a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
Put a frying pan onto a medium heat and add your sugar. As soon as the sugar starts to melt and is nearly caramelized, add the diced pineapple.
Cook the pineapple, stirring every minute for 5 minutes, or until lightly caramelized.
Tip the pineapple into a medium bowl and add the chilli, sweet chilli sauce and lime juice. Mix together.
To serve, whisk together the lemon and olive oil in a small bowl and tip the rocket into a salad bowl. Dress the salad with the lemon and olive oil and serve it with the sausages and the salsa.
- We made ours into hot dogs using sub rolls. YUM!
After our tummies were full, we headed outside to find dessert! And gosh, it was FREEZING!! But fun all the same…
I hope you all had a great day yesterday too….and Good luck battling the traffic today whatever you’re up to 😉